Monday, June 20, 2011

A Piece of Carribean

My main priority when choosing an authentic restaurant is the location.  Living in Chicago, I realized that the best restaurants are the "hole in the wall" establishments; they offer the best original and unique food. Therefore, I wanted to choose a location that has a high level of cultural surroundings. I was in the taste for some island cuisines; and, there was a specific place that my friend recommend me to go, Jamaican Jerk. Interested, I went for lunch on a Saturday afternoon, anticipating for a rush period of customers, but upon arriving I was surprise to find it empty. The restaurant is located 1631 W. Howard St in Chicago; the restaurant is off the Howard red line stop. When I step off the red line, the neighborhood appeared scarce of human life. There weren't any running businesses, accept for a liquor store, of course, and a Jamaican bakery. As I arrived to the restaurant, the outside did not look attracting to the eye, the building look like it has withstand some damages and had some mediocre decor. However, when I stepped inside, the layout was actually pleasant, it was as if I stepped into a Caribbean oasis. Plants draped from the ceiling; the sounds of island instruments played in the background, the lighting was perfect; and, the seating arrangements fit right for the size of the restaurant.  I brought my friend along for company, and she was just amazed as I was.

"Hello child, I be Patsy and I be your server today, what can I start you ladies off with today?" Her accent was pleasant and she was real polite. Firstly, I asked about her personal view of the restaurant and Patsy said, "Jamaica Jerk is a restaurant that serves delicious Jamaican and Caribbean cuisine in a wonderful tropical atmosphere. Our food is made from scratch with only top quality ingredients, including spices, vegetables, and fresh fruits. Whether you are in the mood for jerk chicken or oxtail and beans, our food is sure to make your mouth water for more". With that said, we did not waste any time ordering. The menu was filled with mouth watering dishes that began with jerk chicken to escoveitched fish. In the spirit of trying something new, I ordered the curried goat with a side of bammy and a drink called ting. She left with our orders. As I waited, the waitress came back to our table and conversed with us while our food was being prepared; the food did not take long and the smell greeted us before we saw our plates. As the chef, himself, placed the food in front of us the sizzle of my dish satisfied my taste buds before I had the chance to taste.

I began with the curried goat; the meat fell off the bones. As I took my first bite, the spices melt in my mouth and I was all smiles. It didn't take long for my meal to disappear. I was full and satisfied, a great combination. When the bill arrived, my pockets were just as satisfied. The curried goat cost nine dollars and the side, four dollars; the drink cost only three dollars. The overall meal cost was sixteen dollars; and, the overall experience was priceless.

1 comment:

  1. Always interesting to try something completely new and unfamiliar. Your review gives a good sense of the decor and service, and it seems that you enjoyed your meal, but we need more information about the actual food--taste, looks, smells, etc. This is the most important part of a food review and the thing readers want to know about. Your last paragraph cuts off quickly, so your review needs at least another paragraph talking specifically about the food.

    ReplyDelete